A top pick for a high quality lip liner is the Estēe Lauder Double Wear Stay-in-Place Lip Pencil available in ten subtle shades. Its heavenly formula is moisturizing, well pigmented and glides on effortlessly giving precise definition.
One stand out feature is the handy little brush built into the end allowing you to work over the entire lip area, blending and shading the lower and upper lips so as not to leave any harsh lines. An added convenience is being able to load the brush with your favourite lipstick shade for a quick touch-up later.
A well applied lip liner will limit feathering or bleeding and add staying power to your lipstick. The secret to long wearing success is to apply the liner over the full lip area brushing right into the lips, coat the lips with your favourite lipstick shade, blot with a tissue and then repeat.
The Estēe Lauder Double Wear Stay-in-Place Lip Pencil sharpens well. Good quality sharpeners can be obtained from art supply stores at little cost. It’s important to keep your pencils sharp. Regular sharpening keeps the pencils clean and prevents the build up of bacteria.
Tips and tricks
- Lip pencils will last up to two years
- Avoid crumbling and breaking by placing them in the fridge for about 10 minutes before sharpening.
- Use feathered strokes around the lips for accuracy
- Choose a shade similar to your natural lip colour as this will blend with your lipstick of choice.
- Lip gloss can be used as a top coat over the lip liner if you prefer not to use a lipstick